Friday 1 April 2011

First Draft Music Magazine


 If I could do it again...

 My initial front cover didn't have very many sell lines which made it look empty and boring, which wouldn't attract my target audience or anyone else really. My model's pose went against the codes and conventions because she isn't showing her face, which wasn't right as magazines always show the face of the artist. Also the title in this is really plain and doesn't stand out against the background and make an impact like I wanted it to. The graded background doesn't really work well because although it fits in with the colour scheme, it does just make everything blend together in a really boring way. The sell lines that are just grouped together at the bottom don't have a very good impact either because they don't stand out to the reader, if it was on a magazine stand the bottom wouldn't show anyway, so it's really pointless having them at the bottom. Also there is little variety in text sizes or in font, which means it all looks very similar. To make it stand out more I need to rethink my ideas because this version isn't as good as it could be. 

The initial contents page lacks anything exciting, although it does have some good points, such as a variety of images, it still isn't good enough. It lacks a real structure which makes it confusing to read, and the images are set onto the page but don't look as if they match the headlines. The title "contents" is in a dull font and only stands out because it's white, otherwise I would barely notice it. The image on the top right of the page is badly edited with too much black background so it looks quite odd if I'm honest. The editors letter takes up too much room on the page and so does the image. In most magazines it's quite small so it looks out of place and awkward. The subscription section at the bottom looks really silly because it's not in a box with colour and it doesn't actually stand out to the reader, so it doesn't emphasise the fact it's a good offer. 
This double page spread is not good, the images along the side are awfully edited which really brings down the look of the page and they don't really relate to the captions with them. The title is very blurry which makes it look really bad, and how the background is still around it also makes it look bad. I'm not sure on the background colour of the 2 pages being different, I can't decide if it looks unique or just rubbish, but when I do it again I think this will be changed. The overall colour scheme of the page doesn't really fit and now I think I'm going to be changing it because it's actually quite dark on the page and brings down the idea that my model is bright, bubbly girl who's really enjoying music, it would be suited to a metal band or something heavier. It doesn't represent my target audience well because it doesn't really show what they're into - and this is just through the colour scheme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment